10 Year Property Plan
The 10 Year Property Plan (10YPP) sets a 10-year schedule of school property maintenance and modernisation.
The purpose of a 10YPP is to maximise student learning outcomes through the planned provision of quality learning environments within available budgets. That is, schools that are safe, functional, efficient and enduring.
- health and safety work that ensures the health and safety of building and site occupants
- essential infrastructure works that ensure the integrity and structure of the site and buildings
- plans for
- maintenance work
- any potential changes in roll numbers
- modern learning environments
- requests additional capital funding, if needed. For example, additional 5YA funding to cover the cost of a new boiler system.
A 10YPP ensures that school buildings are maintained and meet the learning and teaching needs of the school.
A 10YPP must be prepared by a Ministry trained 10YPP consultant.
To become a 10YPP consultant you must work for an organisation on the 10YPP Consultant Panel and complete the Ministry’s compulsory training.
The Ministry selects 10YPP consultants for schools from the panel through a secondary tender process.
Each year the Ministry will tender small bundles of 3-8 schools whose 10YPP is due, and offer those bundles by closed tender to 10YPP consultants on the 10YPP Consultants Panel. The Ministry will evaluate the tenders based on a set evaluation criteria and will determine the most appropriate “packages” of work, in a way that is practical, efficient and manageable, to award to consultants based on a number of factors.
Following appointment as a 10YPP consultant you can begin 10YPP preparation.
Use the 10YPP Specifications document to understand the outputs required and quality standards expected when developing a 10YPP.
The 10YPP is prepared in 5 steps:
- Step 1: Start-up and desktop condition assessment
- Step 2: Detailed physical condition assessment and specialist reports
- Step 3: Development of 10YPP
- Step 4: Completion of 10YPP in the Planner
- Step 5: Approval of 10YPP
All forms, templates and guidelines to use when developing a 10YPP can be found on the following page:
This diagram shows the 10YPP process and the roles and responsibilities of consultants, schools and the Ministry.
10YPP amendments and three-year 5YA reviews are outside of this process. Consultants will be engaged to carry out reviews on a time and cost basis.
Last reviewed: Has this been useful? Give us your feedback