Funding and financials
Resources and links to managing your school’s finances, operational and property funding, and staffing entitlements among other financial guidance.
|Level of compliance||Main audience||Other|
Boards are responsible for managing their school’s finances, and have many requirements to follow. These are further detailed in the topic webpages.
- Managing school finances
- Resourcing — operational and staff funding
- Property funding
- Other types of funding
- Tax, insurance and local councils
- Resourcing audits
For guidance on best practice in financial governance, financial management and reporting, see the Financial Information for Schools Handbook [PDF, 1.7 MB]
- For more information on how to prepare your school’s financial statements and how to manage general finances, visit the Managing school finances page.
Download a Microsoft Word version of the handbook:
We calculate and deliver operational funding and staffing entitlements to state and state-integrated schools.
- For more information, visit the Resourcing — operational and staff funding.
The Ministry provides funding to schools to build new property and maintain existing property. We also give Boards funding to furnish and equip buildings and to pay for vandalism damage.
- For more information, visit the Property funding page.
Information about ESOL funding, the International Student Wellbeing Strategy, Boarding allowances and other funding for schools and students:
- Boarding allowances
- English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) funding
- International Student Wellbeing Strategy 2019 funding
Information about council rates and a range of insurance and taxation issues:
- Council rates paid by schools
- Risk Management Scheme - contents and liability insurance
- ACC claims
- School tax issues
The Ministry of Education audits roll returns to make sure schools receive the correct funding and staffing entitlements.
- For more information, visit the Resourcing audits page.
Last reviewed: Has this been useful? Give us your feedback