Easements affecting school land

An easement is the right to use someone else’s land for a specific purpose. Sometimes schools have easements across their grounds, or require easements over a neighbour’s land.

Who can grant approval

School land is generally owned by the Crown. Therefore, only Land Information New Zealand (with consent from the Ministry) can agree to the granting or acquisition of an easement.

If the land is leased by the Ministry of Education, we'll need to seek landowner approval for the easement. This may alter general time frames and costs.

If someone asks your school for an easement

You must send all requests for easements to your local Ministry of Education office or email them to your Property Advisor.

Some typical easement requests might be:

  • the council wants to put in drainage pipes across the school grounds
  • an electricity supplier wants to put a transformer on the corner of your school
  • the council wants to put a footpath across your school grounds.

We'll need to confirm with you that the easement won’t have a negative impact on the school. For example; underground pipes might provide improved services but could affect where you can put new buildings. We'll consult with you during the process to ensure that where identifiable, negative impacts are mitigated.

Getting an easement over a neighbour’s land

Contact your Property Advisor if you need an easement over someone’s land, for example, if you need to lay pipes across a neighbouring property for your school’s water supply.

The Ministry’s consent will be required for an easement so don't negotiate directly with the neighbour. We'll negotiate the arrangement and ensure any property amendments are recorded on the appropriate land title.

Paying for easements

Costs should be attributed to the party who receives the benefit of the easement. We'll discuss costs related to easements with you before they're agreed.

Last reviewed: Has this been useful? Give us your feedback