Stand-downs, suspensions, exclusions and expulsions guidelines - part 1
About the guidelines
- are designed to assist boards of trustees, principals, and teachers with their legal options and duties and meet their obligations under relevant statutory requirements, and
- are for use in all state and state-integrated schools.
Independent schools may also wish to adopt this guide.
The Guidelines comprise:
Part 1 — Legal options and duties
Part 2 — Good practice [PDF, 2.4 MB]
These guidelines replace those published by the Ministry of Education in June 2004 and the 2007 Supplement. The paragraphs have been numbered for ease of use and reference. Cross references to Part 2 — Good practice are given where relevant.
Licensing Criteria Cover
Appendix 1 details the relevant legislation as stated in The Education and Training Act 2020, Appendix 2 details the Education (Stand-down, Suspension and Expulsion) Rules 1999, and Appendix 3 provides a template for an incident report.
In this section
- Appendix 1: The Education and Training Act 2020 - Sections 78–88 of the Act provide the framework for stand-downs, suspensions, exclusions and expulsions
- Appendix 2: Education Rules 1999 - The Education (Stand-down, Suspension, Exclusion and Expulsion) Rules that came into force on 12 July 1999
- Appendix 3: Incident report - Incident report template
- Appendix 4: Information for parents/guardians - Information for parents/guardians about stand-downs and suspensions
- Appendix 5: Stand-downs and suspensions process - ENROL - Screenshots of the stand-downs and suspensions process using ENROL