Licensing criteria for home-based ECE services
Section 10 of the Education and Training Act 2020 defines home-based ECE services as the provision of education or care, for gain or reward, to fewer than 5 children under the age of 6 (in addition to any child enrolled at school who is the child of the person who provides education or care) in:
- their own homes
- the home of the person providing education or care
- any other home nominated by the parents of the children.
These services are licensed in accordance with the Education and Training Act 2020 under the Education (Early Childhood Services) Regulations 2008, which prescribe minimum standards that each licensed service must meet. Licensing criteria are used to assess how the services meet the minimum standards required by the regulations.
For each criterion there is guidance to help services meet the required standards.
The publication of the criteria on its own can be downloaded as a PDF [PDF, 1.3 MB] and printed.
The licensing criteria were last updated in November 2016.
Licensing Criteria Cover
Curriculum criteria documentation required
Documentation that provides evidence of the service's compliance with criteria C1-C13. Documentation may take a variety of forms to suit the service's operation (such as portfolios, wall displays, policies and procedures) but must include:
1. A process for providing positive guidance to encourage social competence in children (C10);
2. A process for providing formal and informal opportunities for parents to:
- communicate with adults providing education and care about their child, and share specific evidence of the child's learning; and
- be involved in decision-making concerning their child's learning (C12); and
3. A record of information and guidance sought from agencies and/or services (C13).