Closing an early learning service temporarily

If your service is unable to operate or remain open for a short period of time, your licence can be suspended until your service resumes operating.

Notifying the Ministry of closure

If a service needs to close, service providers must let the Ministry know when and for how long their service(s) will be closing.

Failure to notify the Ministry of a closure is a breach of the Education Act 1989 and the ECE Funding Handbook.

Services do not need to notify the Ministry of a temporary service closure due to a statutory or provincial holiday. Hospital-based services are also exempt from this requirement.

You should contact your regional Ministry office if you have a service that is closed or closing.

Temporary closures

Not all services will need to close permanently when there is a change in circumstances that impacts the service’s operation.

If a service is unable to operate for a set period of time, the service may request to close temporarily until the circumstances of the closure are resolved.

Examples of when services may request to close temporarily include:

  • major renovations to service premises or facilities 
  • low enrolment or staffing numbers
  • unavailability of the service provider contact person for a significant period of time.

Regional staff will decide whether a licence will be suspended or cancelled once a closure is confirmed with the Ministry. A maximum time period will apply for all suspensions. This will not exceed six months except in exceptional cases.

A licence suspension due to a temporary closure is not a disciplinary action. It is a way to place a licence ‘on hold’ for a service that is unable to provide for the education and care of children at the present time.

A suspended licence is intended to be revoked once the service is able to resume operation and comply with the conditions in the suspension notice.

Further information

Find out how to let the Ministry know of changes to your service details by reading the ECE Funding Handbook.

Read the regulations for ECE services (external link) .

Last reviewed: Has this been useful? Give us your feedback