Google software for schools
- The Google agreement
- Key features of the Chrome Education Licence
- Schools covered
- Duration of the Google Agreement
- Computers covered by the Agreement
- How to get the Chrome Education Licence
- Help with general technical support
- How to get Google products not covered by the Agreement
- Your rights and obligations under the Agreement
- Training for Google for Education tools
The Google agreement provides schools with Ministry-funded Chrome Education Licences. The licence allows schools to manage any number of Chromebooks, customise features and configure security settings from a cloud-based admin console.
Schools will be able to create a personalised, school-wide experience for each and every device covered by the licence. Through the licence, schools will be able to:
- push apps to student devices so they have the right apps they need
- customise the user experience by automatically loading websites on start-up, adding custom bookmarks and blocking distractions
- schedule updates on Chromebooks
- prevent anyone from un-enrolling their managed Chromebook from the school’s domain, minimising lost and stolen devices
- manage student sign-in to prioritise educational use of devices during school hours.
The Chrome Education Licence is a perpetual licence that covers the life of the device it's enrolled to.
Download the Chrome Education Licence overview to find out more about the licence’s features.
The Ministry will cover the cost of the Chrome Education Licence for all New Zealand state and state-integrated schools.
Our Google Agreement starts on 1 Nov 2018 and runs until 30 June 2021.
All school-owned, leased and Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) Chromebooks. Previously unmanaged Chromebooks (Chromebooks without a Chrome Education Licence) and newly purchased Chromebooks will be able to enrol into the school’s network with the Ministry-funded licence and be managed.
Contact one of the registered Chrome Education Licence partners to organise enrolment of your Chromebook devices.
For schools that have already bought a Chrome Education Licence, you may apply for the Ministry-funded licence for the purchase of new devices.
Contact your Chrome Education Licence partner for help and support.
The ICT Helpdesk gives free help with technology issues:
- phone: 0800 Call ICT (0800 22 55 42)
- email: email@example.com
- on-site technical support is available by arrangement.
If your IT contact person changes, inform Datacom – email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please contact one of the Chrome Education Licence partners.
Schools are obligated to deploy a Chrome Education Licence within 6 months of being allocated it. Unused licences will be re-purposed by the Ministry for re-allocation to other schools.
Check out the Google for Education blog for updates.
If you are a teacher, Google’s Teacher Centre has free resources on G Suite for Education. These resources include the training module for Chromebooks that can help you learn how to make the most out of having Chromebooks in your classroom.
If you are an IT administrator, go to the Chrome device management page to learn more about managing Chromebooks. Online training courses are also available for G Suite administrators.
Learn how Bombay School in Auckland is easily and securely managing all students’ Chromebook devices with the Chrome Education Licence.
Last reviewed: Has this been useful? Give us your feedback