Bus Controller Allowance
Every school serviced by Ministry bus routes must have a Bus Controller who is responsible for running the bus routes day-to-day. They may be able to claim a Bus Controller Allowance.
On this page
- Who can get the Bus Controller Allowance?
- Who can't get the Bus Controller Allowance?
- If more than one school uses a route
- Change a Bus Controller
- Claim the Bus Controller Allowance
Teachers and principals covered by the following employment agreements may be eligible for the Bus Controller Allowance (if authorised by their employing school and Land Transport Agent):
- Primary Teachers' Collective Agreement
- Primary Principals' Collective Agreement
- Secondary Teachers' Collective Agreement
- Area School Teachers' Collective Agreement, and
- The promulgated Individual Employment Agreements of the above.
School employees who aren't teachers can't get the Bus Controller Allowance.
However, non-teaching staff can be paid for bus duties by completing a Timesheet for Non-Teaching Staff Form (NOVO13nt).
Download NOVO13nt from the Novopay website:
- Novo Forms (external link) (Novopay website)
Area school principals
The Bus Controller Allowance was removed from the Area School Principals' Collective Agreement on 13 April 2011.
All principals who are covered by a more recent collective agreement (or who have signed an Individual Employment Agreement based on the new version of the collective agreement) can't get a Bus Controller Allowance.
The allowance is only paid to one Bus Controller per route.
If more than one school uses a route, one school takes responsibility - they're known as the lead school.
The lead school is usually the school where the route starts and ends.
The Bus Controller from the lead school will usually receive the allowance for the route.
- Change of Bus Controller Form – between schools [DOC, 70 KB]
- Change of Bus Controller Form – within a school [DOC, 63 KB]
Complete the form and send to email@example.com.
To claim the Bus Controller Allowance, download the NOVO39t form from:
- NOVO Forms (external link) (Novopay website)
At the end of term, please send the completed form to Support@novopay.govt.nz.
For further information, please contact Education Payroll Limited:
- Contact us (external link) (Novopay website)
Last reviewed: Has this been useful? Give us your feedback