Special terms or conditions (concurrence)

Concurrence is approval granted by the Ministry of Education for terms or conditions outside those covered by collective agreements or individual employment agreements, such as additional pay, allowances or benefits.

Ministry of Education approval is required if schools want to offer different employment terms or conditions from those set out in the collective agreements or individual employment agreements, such as additional pay, allowances or benefits. This approval is called concurrence. See section 75 of the State Sector Act (external link) .

Before your board can offer any extra pay, allowances or benefits to a staff member, you must have concurrence (approval) from the Ministry. Any additional payment or benefit is not lawful without such concurrence.

Concurrence is not guaranteed. The Ministry considers each application on its merits.

Additional pay, allowances or benefits to a principal

An additional payment or benefit is on top of the base salary and allowances in a principal’s collective agreement or individual employment agreement.

There are 2 types of additional payments or benefits that you can offer principals, which are:

  • payments or benefits for taking on extra duties and responsibilities
  • ‘sensitive payments’ such as work-related Koru Club membership, home phone and internet rental, and limited use of a school vehicle for private purposes.

Additional pay, allowances or benefits to other employees

You do not need concurrence from the Ministry to:

  • make recruitment, retention and responsibility payments (3R payments) to teachers out of operational funding
  • pay above the minimum rates contained in some of the collective agreements covering other staff in schools (such as caretakers, cleaners and support staff).

Because you are already able to make such extra payments, the Ministry rarely grants concurrence for additional payments or allowances to staff who are not principals.

However, approval can be given in some circumstances, for example to appoint a specialist classroom teacher who does not meet all of the required criteria (such as years of experience).

The Ministry will not grant approval for boards to pay teacher registration fees, as it is a teacher’s individual responsibility to meet all professional requirements, including registration.

How to apply

You must apply for concurrence (approval) from the Ministry for an additional payment or benefit before offering it, unless the Ministry has already given pre-approval to boards for a particular type of payment.

Full instructions on how to apply for concurrence are in Education circular 2013/27 – Principal Concurrence. Please read this carefully if you are thinking about offering extra payments or benefits to an employee as it has more information than is covered here.

If concurrence is granted, you must fund the additional payment or benefit from the school’s budget.

Last reviewed: Has this been useful? Give us your feedback