Maintenance funding for integrated schools

The board of trustees of integrated schools receive Ministry funding to maintain school sites, buildings and services. It can only be used on integrated property.

Paying to maintain integrated property

The Ministry provides funding to the board of trustees of integrated schools to maintain their integrated school property, including buildings, furniture and equipment.

The board must manage this funding. It is for maintenance work costing under $5000, such as:

  • painting
  • fixing broken equipment
  • minor repairs to buildings and infrastructure (for example, repairing a broken water pipe).

Find out more about what you can use maintenance funding for.

You should use Policy One funding to pay for capital work over $5,000 that will create a new asset, or improve or replace an existing asset. Any work costing less than $5,000 is treated as an expense (operating cost) and you should pay for this using your maintenance funding.

Find out more about Policy One funding.

Receiving maintenance funding

Maintenance funding is paid as part of a school’s operational funding. The amount is based on the amount of integrated property. To check the amount of integrated property at your school, speak to your Property Advisor.

Each year we send boards an indicative and a confirmed Grant Advice Notice with the details of the school’s maintenance funding for the year. We pay this funding directly into the school’s bank account in quarterly instalments.

We also send out a Ministry circular each year, explaining how we have calculated the funding for the current year and any changes in policy.

To read the latest circulars, go to Education circulars.

Paying to maintain board or community property

Boards must use their own funding to pay for the maintenance of property paid for with:

  • the board’s funding, or
  • funding provided by the community.

This can include fundraising or surplus operational funding.

Last reviewed: Has this been useful? Give us your feedback