Resource Teachers: Learning and Behaviour Study Award
The purpose of this award is to support you to study the Postgraduate Diploma in Specialist Teaching: Learning and Behaviour at Massey University.
Applications for the study award are now closed.
You must apply for the admission to above diploma once you have submitted your study award application. Closing date for admission with Massey University is 10 December 2020.
Before submitting your application please read each section of this page carefully.
- attain the Resource Teacher: Learning and Behaviour (RTLB) qualification within 4 years of appointment to an RTLB role.
The information we provide on this page is an indication only. The letter of offer (should your application be successful) will have all the details.
The study award pays:
- your cluster lead school a contribution towards your travel and accommodation to the block courses
- your course provider the full amount of your domestic tuition fees.
|Applications close||30 September 2020|
|Applicants and employers notified||by 20 November 2020|
To be eligible for this award, you must:
- Be permanently employed as an RTLB.
- Have support from the lead school/cluster manager to study for the diploma.
- Be a New Zealand citizen or have New Zealand permanent residency.
You are not entitled to this award if:
- you are not accepted into the Postgraduate Diploma in Specialist Teaching: Learning and Behaviour offered by Massey University
- we have previously provided you with funded support for your RTLB training – you will need to re-take any failed papers at your own or your lead school’s expense.
Once applications have closed, we will contact your cluster manager to confirm:
- your employment status
- that they approve and support your study.
Our decision to grant or not grant an award is final, and we will not enter into any discussion about it.
This study award supports the Postgraduate Diploma in Specialist Teaching: Learning and Behaviour at either Massey University.
The details of the programme will be confirmed in future months.
For more information about the diploma
If you have any questions regarding the diploma, please contact:
06 356 9099 Extn 83072
If you are granted this study award, you must meet certain conditions. The specific terms and conditions will be listed in your letter of offer. In brief, you must:
- enrol in your courses at university
- understand the offer of study award is valid for 2 years. If you would like to extend your studies to more than 2 years, you need to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- plan your study and workload for the year (we recommend that you do this with your employer)
- arrange appropriate study leave with your employer
- email us at email@example.com if any of the information you provided in your application changes – this includes your employment status, contact details and any changes to your proposed study.
What the study award covers:
Domestic tuition fees (course papers only).
In April, your university sends an invoice directly to us for your course fees and we pay these straight to them.
You will receive invoices from the university. Do not pay for the course fees, but do pay for all other costs.
|Non-tuition fees such as building fees, student levies, administration fees and any other add-on university charges.|
Failure, withdrawal, breaks in study and changes to employment
|Decide not to start the course after enrolment||
You must re-apply for a study award the following year. Your study award will not be deferred for a year.
The university stipulates a ‘withdrawal date’, which is the final date that you can withdraw by without having to repay tuition fees. Find out from the university what the cut-off date is.
|Fail a paper||You will need to re-take that paper at your own expense.|
|Withdraw from study part way through the qualification||You will need to pay back all academic fees that we have paid for your study.|
|Need to take a break from study due to unforeseen circumstances||You will need to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and the university. You can ask for a maximum of one year’s break from study.|
|Change the RTLB lead school to another RTLB lead school part way through the qualification||You will need to contact us at email@example.com. Your study award will continue if your new employer agrees to support you and your new employment fits the eligibility criteria for the study award.|
|Choose to resign from your job||You may no longer be eligible for the study award.|
|Are made redundant||Your study award will continue, and you can continue studying for that year. However, you will not be supported with a travel contribution and study leave unless any new employer agrees to support you, and your new position fits the eligibility criteria for the study award.|
|Are unable to study 2 papers a year||In exceptional circumstances, you may be allowed to study less than 2 papers.|
Your application must disclose any convictions you have had unless they are covered by the Criminal Records (Clean Slate Act) 2004. This is required to ensure that you would not be prevented from gaining future employment with the Ministry of Education.
You must declare all of your convictions if you have:
- been convicted of an offence within the last 7 years; or
- been sentenced to a custodial sentence (eg, imprisonment, corrective training, borstal); or
- been ordered by a court during a criminal case to be detained in a hospital due to your mental condition, instead of being sentenced; or
- been convicted of a ‘special offence’ (eg, sexual offending against children, young people or those mentally impaired); or
- not paid in full any fine reparation or costs ordered by the court in a criminal case; or
- been indefinitely disqualified from driving under section 65 of the Land Transport Act 1998 or earlier equivalent provision.
Last reviewed: Has this been useful? Give us your feedback