Te Aho o Te Kura Pounamu Early Childhood Teachers' Collective Agreement
The variation agreed between the parties on 19 September 2019 is included in this document.
Download this agreement
If you want a printed copy of this agreement we suggest you download the following PDF version.
Note that documents are available in Adobe PDF format only. Accessible versions, where available, can be supplied on request.
Licensing Criteria Cover
Part One: General
Te Aho o Te Kura Pounamu Early Childhood Teachers’ Collective Agreement
Effective: 22 November 2018 to 21 November 2021
We are making improvements to our Download to Print functionality, so if you want a printed copy of this agreement please download the PDF version of the Te Aho o Te Kura Pounamu Early Childhood Teachers' Collective Agreement.
1.1 Name of Agreement
This Agreement shall be known as the Te Aho O Te Kura Pounamu Early Childhood Teachers’ Collective Agreement and referred to hereafter as the “Agreement”.
The parties to this agreement shall be:
- the Secretary for Education acting under delegation from the State Services Commissioner made pursuant to section 23 of the State Sector Act 1988 and acting in accordance with section 74(5) of the State Sector Act 1988.
- the New Zealand Educational Institute Te Riu Roa (“NZEI Te Riu Roa” or “the union”).
The Agreement is a Collective Agreement made pursuant to Part 5 of the Employment Relations Act 2000 and shall be binding on:
- each employee who comes within the coverage clause and who is or becomes a member of NZEI Te Riu Roa.
- Te Aho O Te Kura Pounamu Board of Trustees (“Te Kura” or “the employer”).
This agreement covers work undertaken by teachers, as defined in 1.7 below, employed in the Early Childhood Service of Te Kura.
The parties agree that the terms and conditions contained in this agreement may be varied at any time by written agreement between NZEI Te Riu Roa and the Secretary for Education, acting under delegation from the State Services Commissioner made pursuant to section 23 of the State Sector Act 1988, in accordance with section 74 of the State Sector Act 1988. Any such variation agreed shall be binding on employees and the employer of those employees covered by this agreement in accordance with s74(6) of the State Sector Act 1988 (as amended by the Employment Relations Act 2000).
The following definitions apply for the purposes of this agreement unless specified otherwise:
- “Teacher” means any person who is employed in a teaching position in the Early Childhood Service of Te Kura. Teachers must be fully certified, provisionally certified or certified subject to confirmation by the Education Council. For clarity this includes teachers who hold designated management responsibilities.
- References to “any time when Te Kura is officially closed for instruction” in this agreement shall be deemed to mean the term breaks annually gazetted for composite schools.
1.8 Declaration Pursuant to the State Sector Act
Pursuant to section 75 of the State Sector Act 1988 the Secretary for Education acting pursuant to the delegated authority of the State Service Commissioner has declared that all the conditions contained in this collective agreement are actual conditions of employment provided that the Secretary for Education may from time to time give approval to the salary rates or allowances being treated as minimum rates where there is agreement to this between the employer and any of its employees.