3.21 Associate Teacher Allowance
3.21.1 An associate teacher allowance of $51.60 per trainee week shall be paid under the following provisions:
- The following definitions shall apply:
- ‘Trainee’ means a teacher trainee, or teacher on a course of retraining, at a college of education or teacher training provider approved and accredited under the provisions of the Education Act 1989 or a teacher undertaking a full-time course of specialised training;
- ‘Associate teacher’ means a teacher employed by a Board of Trustees, approved by a college of education or other teacher training provider approved and accredited under the provisions of the Education Act 1989, to assist in the practical training of trainees under conditions defined by the provider.
- For each trainee week, namely each week each trainee is posted to an associate teacher’s classroom for at least four teaching days, the teacher shall be paid at the rate specified above;
- Employees who are not associate teachers but are required to have trainees in the classroom for up to eight student weeks in any one year shall, except when the time spent in the one classroom by one or more trainees is less than four teaching days a week, be entitled to payment in accordance with the rate specified above;
- Where the approved teacher training provider approves the posting of trainees for a period of less than four teaching days a week, then payment shall be made in accordance with the rate specified above on the basis of the aggregation of those periods;
- The associate teacher allowance is payable to teachers who are not necessarily involved in classroom related duties but who otherwise satisfy the provisions of this clause;
- The associate teacher allowance shall be payable at a daily rate for a trainee once four days have been completed with that trainee pro rated on the rate specified above. The first four days will also qualify for payment;
- The associate teacher allowance shall not be payable to an employee receiving the normal school allowance.
Last reviewed: Has this been useful? Give us your feedback