3.16 Hard to Staff Allowances
3.16.1 Staffing Incentive Allowance
Additional salary at the rate of $1,000 per annum shall be paid to teachers who are not in receipt of the Priority Teacher Supply Allowance and who meet one of the following criteria;
- All full-time teachers appointed to advertised positions in schools designated as having serious staffing difficulties;
- All full-time teachers in schools approved because of location;
- All full-time long-term and other relieving teachers who serve in an approved school or schools for a minimum period of two consecutive school terms.
3.16.2 Priority Teacher Supply Allowance
- The Priority Teacher Supply Allowance (PTSA) provisions below shall apply only to teachers employed in decile one or decile two Priority Staffing Status schools.
- Full-time fully-certificated teachers employed on a permanent or long term relieving basis of two consecutive terms or more and who have been attested as having met the professional standards (i.e. the fully-certificated teacher, experienced teacher or deputy principal and assistant principal standards as appropriate) shall be entitled, from the date of appointment, to receive the PTSA of $1,500 per annum.
- Full-time provisionally certificated teachers or teachers certificated subject to confirmation who are employed on a permanent or long term relieving basis of two consecutive terms or more will receive, from the date of appointment, the allowance at the rate of $1,000 per annum until such time as they are fully-certificated and attested as having met the fully-certificated teacher professional standards.
- Priority Staffing Status schools are those schools in the regions set out in the Ministry of Education’s Resourcing Handbook (Chapter Four: Payments to Individuals) and may be changed by the Ministry of Education as priority needs shift.
- The Priority Teacher Supply Allowance is not payable to any teacher in a position approved for Priority Staffing Status on the basis of severe difficulty in recruiting to that position.
- Teachers moving to a position in which they will be eligible to receive the Priority Teacher Supply Allowance are entitled to either the National Relocation Grant (as set out in the Ministry of Education guidelines on Teacher Supply Initiatives) or to the transfer and removal provisions of this Agreement. On completion of a minimum of three years' continuous service in one or more decile one or two Priority Staffing Status schools a teacher shall have access to the transfer and removal provisions of this Agreement when moving from this category of school to another teaching position in a state or state-integrated school.
- In the event that a region is removed from the Priority Staffing Status coverage, or when as a result of a reassessment a school is no longer rated as decile one or two, teachers who were in receipt of the Priority Teacher Supply Allowance prior to that change or reassessment, shall continue to receive the allowance until the end of the school year. Teachers who are so affected shall retain their entitlement to the transfer and removal provisions of this Agreement for a further three years.
Last reviewed: Has this been useful? Give us your feedback