Guide to using ENROL
ENROL is a register of student enrolments. It lets schools update enrolments as students enrol, change schools or leave the school system.
All schools must use it.
Licensing Criteria Cover
Creating a student record
You can create a record only for:
- a new entrant
- a new student arriving from overseas
- a New Zealand citizen who is returning to New Zealand after 2006.
All other students should already have a record. If you’re not sure whether a student has a record, go to the "Find a student" tab first and search for the student (make sure you tick the option "Not at my school").
Register groups of international students using by clicking on Add Group Students on the Create a Student Record tab. Individual international fee paying students, whether they are coming alone or as part of a family, are to be entered in ENROL as usual. If in doubt about whether you should use the new form or enter the students individually in ENROL, call the e-Admin Contact Centre on 04 463 8383, or email@example.com.
- Click "Create a student record" on the ENROL toolbar.
- Click the drop-down menu and select one of the three options.
- Click "Confirm".
- Enter the student's details exactly as they appear on the student's verification document. Don't take them from the enrolment form.
You must enter the student's surname, their first name and any middle names, their date of birth and their gender.
Use the correct capitalisation.
Separate the names with spaces, not commas.
A name must start with a letter. To enter names, you can use:
- letters of the alphabet, with or without accents
Make sure you put capital letters, apostrophes and hyphens in the right places. For example, Hee-jin, Fa’a Tala
If a student has only one name, enter the name in the "Surname" section and enter a tilde (~) in the "First names" section.
- Click "Check name".
ENROL will bring up a list of matching records. Check these carefully. If the student is a new entrant and attended an Early Childhood Education service, then they may already have a National Student Number (NSN).
- If the student is on the list, click on their name or number and complete the details on the next screen. Make sure you follow step 4 above when entering the details.
- If there is no matching record, click "Create new NSN" and enter the student's details.
If you're not sure you have a match, always check the date of birth. If this is the same and if the names are almost the same, then it's a match.
If you're still not sure, click "Create new NSN" or contact the e-Admin Contact Centre.
If you are sure it is a match, but the name in ENROL is missing middle names or contains a typo, select the matching record anyway, add the details (you can’t change the name at this stage) and save it. Then open the record again and click on "Change details" to update it. See the heading above "Changing the Student's details".
- Click "Next".
- Enter the enrolment information. If the student is a new entrant, enter the "Early childhood service" (up to three) and include the average number of hours and the number of years they attended the service.
- Check the details. If they are correct, click "Save".
If you give a student 2 records by mistake
If you have accidentally created a new National Student Number for a student who already has one, contact the e-Admin Contact Centre:
Phone: +64 4 463 8383