Wet weather closes South Island schools
There are currently six South Island schools and three early childhood services closed in the Grey and Westland Districts as a result of heavy rain. This is impacting 334 students and 144 children.
Our local staff have been in contact with schools/kura and ECEs in the region to provide them with advice and support if needed.
The best information will come from schools and early learning services themselves and parents and whānau are advised to check their school’s or early childhood service’s website or Facebook page or contact them directly for the latest information.
The decision to close remains that of the Board of Trustees for schools and Centre Managers/Owners for Early Learning services. Our support is available as required.
A list of closed schools/ECE’s
- John Paul II High School (Grey District)
- Runanga School (Grey District) Barrytown School (Grey District)
- Franz Josef Glacier School (Westland District)
- South Westland Area School (Westland District)
- Whataroa School (Westland District)
- Kokatahi-Kowhitirangi School (Westland District)
ECE services closed
- Active Explorers Hokitika (Hokitika)
- Active Explorers Shakespeare Street (Greymouth)
- Kidsfirst Glacier Country Early Learning Centre (Franz Josef)
Last reviewed: Has this been useful? Give us your feedback