Risk identification, assessment and management
Risk management will reduce the likelihood and severity of serious and adverse health and safety outcomes. Schools and early learning services need to understand what is going on in the business so risks are known, assessed and managed.
Our factsheets have been written for schools, ECE services and kōhanga reo to use.
Risk management (part 1) [PDF, 152 KB]: Guidance on identifying hazards, and hazards and their potential harm.
Risk management (part 2) [PDF, 148 KB]: Assessing and controlling risks, and reviewing control measures.
Risk management (part 3) [PDF, 146 KB]: How to assess potential risks arising from work activities.
Tools and resources for schools
- Example policy/procedure: Risk management - Word version [DOCX, 17 KB]
- Tool 12: Risk management checklist - Word version [DOCX, 19 KB]
- Tool 13: Assessing risks [PDF, 62 KB]
- Tool 14: Completing a hazard register [PDF, 87 KB]
- Tool 15: Hazard Assessment Register - Word version [DOCX, 19 KB]
These resources have been developed through the Sector Reference Group and NZSTA.
Tools for early learning services
- Tool 5 - Risk register template - Word version [DOCX, 17 KB]
- Tool 6 - Hazard checklist template - Word version [DOCX, 13 KB]
- Tool 7 - Risk management checklist [PDF, 51 KB]
Students on work experience
- Work experience agreement [PDF, 51 KB] - write-enabled
- Children's Action Plan and Vunerable Childrens Act 2014 Information (external link) *
- Fireworks and pyrotechnics for school productions
- Information about the Ministry's standards for preventing hazards presented by windows and door glazing at schools
- Behaviour support tools (external link) *
- Health conditions in education settings: Supporting children and young people with health conditions*
- Interventions: Guide for schools
- The Mental Health Foundation now host all their information regarding suicide prevention at suicide prevention (external link) .
- Off-site practical - Work Experience
- Education Outside the Classroom (EOTC) and Outdoor Education (external link)
- Learning Experiences Outside The Classroom Provider Guide (external link) (2008)
- Poisonous plants on school property*
- Playground Safety*
- Cell phone towers and Wireless on school property
- Alcohol on school sites
- External Resources
- Worksafe Guidance: Risks in schools and ECE's (external link)
- Sport New Zealand: Safe sport for children (external link)
- Sport New Zealand: School Sport Planning Tool (external link) (external link)
- Skills Active Aotearoa: Sector Strategic Training Plan 2012-15 (external link)
- Sport New Zealand: Outdoor Activities – Guidelines for Leaders (external link) (SPARC, 2005)
- Sport New Zealand: Managing sport - Safe sport for children (external link)
- Worksafe New Zealand: Hazard identification (external link) *
- Good Practice Principles for the Provision of Sport and Recreation for Young People (external link)
- Safe Sport for Children (external link) (child protection guidelines)
- Children's Action Plan and Vulnerable Children Act 2014 information (external link)
- WorkSafe's Adventure Activities (external link)
Last reviewed: Has this been useful? Give us your feedback