Injury and illness management
Schools and early learning services must report, record and investigate all incidents accurately and promptly and identify any trends to their health and safety rep and WorkSafe where appropriate. Near misses with potential outcomes of serious injuries and/or illnesses are reported to their health and safety representative and WorkSafe. These are investigated and corrective actions are taken.
Our factsheets have been written for schools, ECE services and kōhanga reo to use.
Injury and illness management [PDF, 156 KB]: Notifiable events, incidents, injuries and illnesses, and the duties of the Board
Notification of workplace notifiable events
You need to notify WorkSafe when certain work related events (called notifiable events) happen. Download this factsheet to see what events need to be notified [PDF, 262 KB] (produced with Worksafe).
Employers, principals and self-employed persons must notify WorkSafe NZ as soon as possible of a workplace injury/incident and occurrences of serious harm. To do this go to the Worksafe NZ website (external link) .
Allergy New Zealand
Allergy New Zealand (external link) has a range of resources and guidance available to schools and ECEs including Allergy and Anaphylaxis Guidelines for Early Childhood and Schools.
Tools and resources for schools
- Example policy/procedure: Injury and incident management - Word version [DOCX, 19 KB]
- Tool 16: Injury and incident reporting checklist - Word version [DOCX, 19 KB]
- Tool 17: Injury or incident procedure [PDF, 87 KB]
- Tool 18: Causes or incidents and injuries checklist [PDF, 56 KB]
- Tool 19: Injury or incident investigation form - Word version [DOCX, 17 KB]
- Tool 20: Notice of record of injury/notifiable event [PDF, 43 KB]
- Tool 21: Injury and incident board report - Word version [DOCX, 15 KB]
These resources have been developed through the Sector Reference Group and NZSTA.
Tools for early learning services
- Tool 10 - Injury and incident reporting checklist [PDF, 73 KB]
- Tool 11 - Injury and incident procedure flowchart [PDF, 49 KB]
- Tool 12 - Injury and incident record [PDF, 78 KB]
- Tool 13 - Reporting notifiable events [PDF, 46 KB]
- Tool 14 - Injury and incident report template - Word version [DOCX, 12 KB]
Last reviewed: Has this been useful? Give us your feedback