Count Me In
Count Me In is a project to help Māori and Pasifika aged 16 to 18 that have left school without NCEA Level 2 or equivalent qualifications. Count Me In brings together a special team to give you/your son or daughter/the young person you are working with the best chance at gaining a Level 2 qualification.
Count Me In gives targeted support to Māori and Pasifika 16 to 18 year olds
Count Me In supports 16 to 18 year olds outside the formal education system. It guides young people through a process which:
- looks at what qualification credits they have;
- explores what career or job they want to have;
- figures out what qualifications they need for the career or job they want;
- finds out what options they have to get qualified for the career or job they want, starting with Level 2 qualifications; and
- when they’ve made an informed choice, helps them enrol in and complete their studies.
Help 16 to 18 year old Māori and Pasifika young people
Use our resources to support these young people who are outside the education system:
A Facilitator’s Guide [PDF, 5.1 MB]. Supports anyone working with young people to connect them with education providers, attain qualifications, and progress career pathways.
Information and interactive resources to support engagement, discussions and decision-making for:
- Early Learning [PDF, 922 KB]
- Literacy and Numeracy [PDF, 2.1 MB]
- NCEA [PDF, 1.1 MB]
- Career Planning [PDF, 1 MB]
- The roles and functions of Education Agencies [PDF, 303 KB].
Or refer them to Count Me In and our facilitators will work with them:
- 0800 Count Me In (0800 268 686)
- 1.1 Count Me In Referral form [DOCX, 70 KB]
- 1.1 Count Me In Referral form [PDF, 799 KB]
- 3.3 Consent Form [DOCX, 15 KB]
- 3.3 Consent Form [PDF, 410 KB]
- 7.1 Career and Qualification [DOCX, 16 KB]
- 7.1 Career and Qualification [PDF, 175 KB]
- 14.1 Support Agreement [DOCX, 18 KB]
- 14.1 Support Agreement [PDF, 291 KB]
- 17.1 Monitoring Form [DOCX, 14 KB]
- 17.1 Monitoring Form [PDF, 182 KB]
- 18.1 Count Me In Reporting Template [XLSX, 22 KB]
(Count Me In Reporting Template was updated on 19/11/2015)
More about Count Me In
Count Me In involves agencies, iwi and employers working together
Agencies are working together with Iwi and employers to find and support Māori and Pasifika 16-18 year olds that are outside the education system. Agencies involved include NZ Police, Youth/District Courts, Child Youth and Family (CYF), the Department of Corrections, the Ministry of Social Development and Te Wānanga O Aotearoa.
Extra effort is needed to lift Maori and Pasifika outcomes
In 2013, the number of Māori and Pasifika young people gaining NCEA or comparable Level 2 qualification was well below the national average. In 2015 there aren’t enough Māori and Pasifika students in formal education to reach the Better Public Service (BPS) target of 85% of 18 year olds gaining a Level 2 Qualification by 2017.
Last reviewed: Has this been useful? Give us your feedback