Halswell community engagement on proposed new primary education provision
We’re working on plans for future primary provision in the Halswell area because of rapid residential development. A new primary school will be required in west Halswell by 2020 and we have recently engaged with the community there on ideas for the new school.
Independent facilitator, Gabrielle Wall, ran public workshops during August and September. These were to gather ideas about the possible structure for 2 future primary schools on 2 Ministry owned sites – Halswell West and Halswell North [PDF, 303 KB]
Dr Wall then developed an online survey exploring the level of support for the ideas raised during these workshops.
A new primary school will be needed in West Halswell by 2020 and consultation on this new school will start in 2017.
Thanks to everyone who took part in the engagement.
Timeframe for the next steps in the process
- Formal consultation will happen between February and April 2017 with the boards of schools and early child education centres who may be affected by the proposed new school.
- We’ll report the consultation feedback to the Minister at the end of May 2017 with our recommendation that a new school is established.
- It is envisaged that a decision on the new school will be available by mid 2017.
- Once the Minister has decided to establish the school, an invitation will be extended to the community for expressions of interest to form the Establishment Board of Trustees for the new school.
- Construction of a new school is likely to take 2-3 years from the starting date of the Establishment board of trustees.
If you have any questions about the engagement process or next steps email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone (03) 378 7757.
Last reviewed: Has this been useful? Give us your feedback