ESOL professional development
We provide resources and professional development support to help teachers and teacher aides develop their skills in working with English language learners.
- English Language Learning Progressions professional support
- Working with English language learners handbook and DVD for teacher aides and bilingual tutors
- Scholarships for Teaching English in Schools for Speakers of Other Languages (TESSOL)
The English Language Learning Progressions (external link) (ELLP) is a resource for teachers that:
- helps you choose content, vocabulary and tasks that are appropriate to each student’s age, stage and language learning needs
- describes typical patterns for English language learners as they acquire an additional language
- explains how to monitor and report on your students’ progress.
To help you use the ELLPs more effectively, you can work through the online resource Using the English Language Learning Progressions: professional support for leaders and teachers (external link) .
Working with English language learners is a handbook and DVD training kit for teacher aides and bilingual tutors. It has 10 modules and is designed to be done over two terms, taking roughly 2 hours a fortnight. The DVD takes you through each module of the handbook, with pauses for activities and discussions. Your school is welcome to make copies of the DVD.
Your school’s ESOL teacher needs to work through the DVD with you, or with a small group of teacher aides. The kit includes a certificate that your ESOL teacher will sign off as you complete each module.
Order the Working with English language learners DVD and handbook from Down the Back of the Chair (external link) or by calling 0800 660 662.
Download the certificate for completion of modules [PDF, 286 KB].
Last reviewed: Has this been useful? Give us your feedback