Across schools teacher
The purpose of the across schools teacher role is to support improvement in student achievement and well-being by strengthening teaching and leadership practices.
This role allows teachers to use their skills and knowledge in new ways across their Community of Learning | Kāhui Ako. Teachers learn with and from their colleagues in cycles of inquiry and improvement. Teachers are also given time and support to develop and encourage the sharing of effective practices that improve educational achievement.
Students will benefit from the professional collaboration as teachers share knowledge, skills and practices from across the Community of Learning.
Allowances and allocation
It is up to the leadership of a Community of Learning to determine how the across schools teacher role is shared among the members.
We provide the employing board with:
- 0.40 FTTE release time. This will appear on the school’s staffing entitlement notice.
- Between 85% and 140% of a rate 1 travel grant and a $750 per year induction and networking allowance are paid as part of the operations grant.
Allowances are made on a pro-rata basis if an appointee is in a role for less than one year.
Prerequisites for the role
Applicants for the across schools teacher role will have:
- employment as a teacher in the Community of Learning
- a current practising certificate
- recent educational leadership experience relevant to the role
- met professional standards relevant to their current position.
Creating across schools teacher roles
Communities of Learning may create up to 2 additional across schools teacher roles by merging several within school teacher roles:
- to create one role, 3.3 within school teacher roles are merged
- to create 2 roles, 6.6 within school teacher roles are merged.
The within school teacher roles are then deducted from the number of these roles that are available to the community and rounded down to the nearest whole number.
Any Community of Learning may create these additional roles provided the required within school teacher roles are available and that every member school agrees to the decision.
Across schools teachers are usually appointed for up to 2 years, but the across schools teacher roles created under this provision apply for the current year only. This is because the number of within school teacher roles is recalculated annually and any changes in role allocations will take effect from the start of the following year.
If your Community of Learning wishes to extend the arrangement beyond one year, please consult your Community of Learning lead advisor.
- All member schools agree to create the new across schools teacher role (or roles).
- Advise your Community of Learning lead advisor.
- Your lead advisor will confirm that you meet the criteria and will forward your request to our resourcing division for action.
- The member schools will receive updated staffing notices if their staffing has changed.
- Your lead advisor will let you know when the staffing changes have been completed.
If you are thinking about creating more across schools teacher roles, please consider these questions.
- What is the purpose of creating these roles?
- How will the extra across schools teacher(s) help you better meet your achievement challenges?
- Does every school in the Community of Learning agree creating the extra roles?
- Are there enough within school teacher roles available to merge?
- Are there any employment related implications?
Last reviewed: Has this been useful? Give us your feedback