Special residential school non-teaching staff

If you work at a special residential school but you are not a teacher, you’ll be employed in a professional, administrative or residential role.

The special residential schools are van Asch Deaf Education Centre, Kelston Deaf Education Centre, Halswell Residential College, Salisbury School and Westbridge Residential School.

Employment agreements

Special residential school staff are covered by:

  • the Special Residential Schools’ Collective Agreement, or
  • an individual employment agreement, with similar terms and conditions as the collective agreement.

You are covered by the collective agreement if your work is covered by this agreement and you’re a member of the New Zealand Public Service Association (PSA).

You need to sign an individual employment agreement if your work is covered by the collective agreement but you are not a member of the PSA. The Ministry of Education develops and publishes the individual employment agreement. The terms and conditions of your work are similar to the collective agreement.

Your pay

Your pay is set out in part 4 of the collective agreement. All the non-teaching jobs at special residential schools fit into one of these classifications: administration, technical, special services, general services or residential. Each classification is also split into grades. Your role’s classification and grade will depend on the complexity of your job, your qualifications and experience, and whether you have supervision or management responsibilities. Clause 4.2 of the agreement has all the salary scales for the different classifications and grades.

If you work part time, your pay is a percentage of the full-time pay for your role, calculated by the number of hours you work each week.

Pay increases

Each pay grade has steps within it and you can move up those steps based on your performance review each year. This is explained in clause 4.7 of the agreement.

Your pay will also increase for length of service. The amounts are set out in clause 6.6 of the agreement.


Allowances are covered in part 6 of the collective agreement.

These include allowances for:

  • transport (if you have to use your own car for school business – 59 cents per kilometre)
  • being on call ($30 a day)
  • going on a school camp or similar activity ($19.97 a day).

You can also get a higher duties and special duties allowance if you do a higher graded job for 5 days or more.


The different types of leave you are entitled to are covered in part 5 of your collective agreement.

Annual leave

If you are a standard employee, you get 5 weeks’ annual leave each year plus one recreation day, which is on top of the normal public holidays. After 6 years of service, you get 6 weeks' annual leave plus one recreation day.

You can carry forward up to 5 days of your annual leave to the next year, but not your recreation day. You can use up to half of your next year’s allocation in advance.

If you are a rostered employee with hours of work set by clause 3.1.2(b), you do not have annual leave as you get paid time off when your school is closed. This is explained in clause 5.6 of the collective agreement.

Sick leave

Your sick leave allocation is 10 days each year (clause 5.9), and you can use this to care for a sick family member (this is called sickness at home leave, clause 5.10). You may be able to use some of your next year’s sick leave in advance if you need to.

Other leave

You are entitled to bereavement/tangihanga leave, as set out in clause 5.12.

You may be able to get special leave, with or without pay. You can apply for special leave for things like working for the NZPSA, study, attending conferences and conventions, or to accompany your partner on an overseas posting. This is covered in clause 5.8.

Parental leave

You are entitled to parental leave, as set out in the Parental Leave and Employment Protection Act 1987 (external link) .

Parental leave covers 4 types of leave.

  • Maternity leave – mothers can get up to 18 weeks off work from around the time of birth or from the time you start caring for an adopted child.
  • Partner/paternity leave – if your partner has had a baby or you have adopted a child together, you can take up to 2 weeks off.
  • Extended leave – you may be able to extend your maternity leave for an extra 52 weeks.
  • Special leave – while you are pregnant, you can have up to 10 days' pregnancy-related leave.

You need to apply to your employer before taking parental leave. The usual notice required is 3 months but this can be reduced in some circumstances, such as if an adoption is arranged in a short time. The Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (external link) website explains how to apply for parental leave.

Parental leave payment

If you qualify for the parental leave payment, it is paid through Inland Revenue, so you need to apply for this payment and your school must confirm that you are entitled to parental leave. The Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (external link) website explains how to apply for parental leave payments.

If you work part time, the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment website (external link)  can help you work out your parental leave payment.


Last reviewed: Has this been useful? Give us your feedback