Teacher aide funding process — for students in ORS and SHHNF
Funding information for schools with teacher aides who support students verified for the Ongoing Resourcing Scheme (ORS) and the School High Health Needs Fund (SHHNF).
- How we allocate funding for teacher aides
- When we pay funding for teacher aides
- Consumables grant for students in ORS: when we pay it and how much
- What happens when a verified student enters or leaves your school
- What you need to do to change your bank account details
We allocate funding for teacher aides working with students in ORS or SHHNF based on the information provided to us by you and our staff.
We may adjust the funding if:
- the date we negotiate with you to start funding for a teacher aide changes, for example, their employment date changes — you need to let us know if that happens
- we all agree that support for a student needs to be renegotiated.
You can apply for a review of the teacher aide allocation at any time. Go to request a review of teacher aide funding for a student in ORS or SHHNF to find out how.
The funding is a finite resource and is allocated to students verified for ORS or SHHNF according to identified support needs.
Each district is a fund holder, and must use the funding as intended.
Funding for teacher aides working with students in ORS or SHHNF is paid into your school bank account in the fourth week of each term.
All payments are GST inclusive and are based on the notional hourly rate of:
- $18.47 for U3+ schools
- $19.25 for U1 and U2 schools.
When we’ve made the payment into your account, we’ll confirm it by letter and include a tax invoice for your records.
We fund primary and intermediate schools for 39 weeks as follows.
- 10 weeks in terms one, 2, and 3.
- 9 weeks in term 4.
We fund secondary and composite schools for 38 weeks as follows.
- 9 weeks in terms one and 4.
- 10 weeks in terms 2 and 3.
Secondary students who are verified should still attend school at exam time.
If you have students in ORS, we’ll include a quarterly instalment of the annual consumables grant at the same time as we pay your teacher aide funding.
For each student who is verified as very high needs, the grant is $561.19 (GST inclusive).
For each student verified as high needs, the grant is $280.56 (GST inclusive).
Support needs to go to the right school, so you need to let us know when a verified student leaves or joins your school.
You also need to let us know if there are any other changes that may affect this funding, such as changes in circumstances for the student or the teacher aide.
If a student verified for ORS or SHHNF enters or leaves your school, we’ll continue teacher aide funding for 2 weeks or as negotiated and confirmed with the service or fund manager.
If your bank account details have changed, email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 0800 646 272 and select option 2.
Last reviewed: Has this been useful? Give us your feedback