We use construction rates to calculate project funding for some types of property work.
Construction rates are generally for projects where new square metres are being provided to cater for roll growth, except for when we use modular buildings.
On this page:
- Construction rates
- Construction rates and 5YA funding
- What do you use construction rates for?
- Reviewing rates
The rates include:
- Base construction rate
- Trade costs, contractors' preliminaries and general (P&G), margin
- Contingency (construction and project)
- Consultants' fees
- Consent fees
Default rates for projects approved after 1 December 2016
These rates are based on assumptions about the size and complexity of the project. Individual components (eg contingency or fees allowances) may be varied to reflect the characteristics of specific projects.
|Teaching and non-teaching space||Rate per gross m2 excluding GST
|Gymnasium and auditorium||Rate per gross m2 excluding GST
Other standard costs
|Lifts||$130,000 per unit|
Teaching space: $28,000
Non-teaching space: site specific
Construction rates and 5YA funding
The construction rate is not used to calculate 5YA funding.
Find out how 5YA funding is calculated: 5 Year Agreement (5YA) Funding
What do you use construction rates for?
The rates apply to:
- all new capital budgets provided to schools for the provision of new square metres
- the gross (total) area of the project (the area enclosed by all the exterior walls of a building):
- including mezzanines, internal partitions, corridors, toilets, lifts, stairwells, cupboards, etc.
- excluding balconies, roof overhangs, porches, external walkways, exterior covered circulation, covered ways between buildings, projecting columns and sunshades.
These rates are based on a survey of Ministry projects over the preceding 18 months. They will be reviewed regularly against recent projects undertaken.
Email Property.Help@education.govt.nz for more information about construction rates.
Last reviewed: Has this been useful? Give us your feedback