Property Maintenance Grant for school maintenance work

As a board of trustees, you use the Property Maintenance Grant to pay for maintenance work on Ministry-owned buildings and facilities at your school. This funding does not cover capital work or operational non-property expenses.

Paying for maintenance work

We provide the Property Maintenance Grant (PMG) for you to pay for maintenance work. This grant is part of your school’s operational funding.

Maintenance includes:

  • general maintenance and painting for school buildings
  • ground maintenance
  • swimming pool maintenance.

Maintenance by your caretaker

Your caretaker may do a lot of your maintenance work. You pay their wages from your operational funding.

Do not include work that will be done by your caretaker in your 10YPP or use PMG to pay the caretaker's salary.

Calculating funding for maintenance work

We calculate your PMG based on:

  • gross area (which is the external footprint of a building of Ministry-owned or integrated area)
  • square metres of painted exterior walls
  • cubic capacity of Ministry-owned or integrated swimming pools
  • the 'corrosion factor' for schools in areas where buildings are subject to very high corrosion from extreme weather and salt spray (it provides a top-up for these schools to carry out the more frequent maintenance needed)
  • the 'isolation factor', which is linked to the isolation index used in operational funding (it is an adjustment for schools in isolated areas that have extra costs due to their remoteness).

The PMG is calculated for your land up to a maximum size:

  • primary – 2.5 hectares
  • intermediate – 4 hectares
  • secondary – 8 hectares
  • composite – 6 hectares.

Note: Your PMG is not affected by other issues, such as where your students come from.

Correct information needed to calculate your funding

Your school property information is needed to calculate your funding. Keeping this information up to date in the Ministry's K2 system is important for PMG calculations. 

Contact your Ministry office if you:

  • think your school’s information is incomplete
  • filled out an asset update form for a new building incorrectly.

If you received insufficient funding because of incorrect information, talk to your property advisor. You may be entitled to a reimbursement of up to a maximum of 3 years’ worth of funding. Back payments will be paid out along with your next operational funding grant.

Buildings qualifying for PMG funding

Only Ministry-funded buildings and facilities qualify for PMG funding. For instance:

  • where the community owns property, the community group must pay for its maintenance, and the lease agreement should cover this arrangement. For more information, see Leasing or hiring school land and buildings to third parties
  • where you have paid for property with board funding, such as with money raised by fundraising, you must use board funding to pay for its maintenance.

Property ownership is recorded in the Ministry's K2 system.

Grant Advice Notices

Each year we send you 2 Grant Advice Notices.

  1. Indicative.
  2. Confirmed.

These contain the details of your PMG for the year. The funding is paid directly to your school’s bank account in 4 quarterly instalments, along with your operational funding.

Urgent health and safety work

You do not get additional PMG funding for unplanned, urgent health and safety work, such as repairing a broken pavement that could be a trip hazard. Do this work immediately using your PMG.

Non-urgent health and safety maintenance work should be prioritised in your 10YPP. Good maintenance will help prevent the need for urgent work.

Using the correct funding source for maintenance work

For budgeting purposes, you need to understand the difference between capital and maintenance work. Maintenance funding is on existing buildings and involves activities such as:

  • painting
  • minor replacement
  • minor patching and repairing
  • minor site and ground maintenance.

Assess the amount of change required to help you decide whether a task is capital or maintenance work. For example, if:

  • a section of sewerage pipe needs replacing, this is maintenance, but
  • if all or most of the pipe needs replacing (effectively requiring a new system), this is capital replacement.

Capital funding

Capital funding, allocated by the Ministry, is used to create or improve an asset on our balance sheet or replace existing property.

5 Year Agreement (5YA) funding

Other operating expenses

Do not use your PMG to pay for your school’s operating expenses such as:

  • repairing damage caused by vandalism
  • maintenance of furniture and equipment
  • heat, light and water
  • contents insurance
  • local council rates
  • day-to-day expenses such as cleaning, rubbish disposal, consumables (paper, pens etc), pool chemicals, caretaker’s wages, grass cutting, pest control and water charges.

Pay for these other expenses from other parts of your operational funding. See Operational funding components.

Last reviewed: Has this been useful? Give us your feedback