Background policy documents for Investing in Educational Success
Investing in Educational Success is a major Government initiative designed to help further lift student achievement in New Zealand. It focuses on raising teaching quality and enabling education providers (early childhood education services me ngā kōhanga reo, school, kura and post-secondary) to work together to share teaching and leadership resources.
How Investing in Educational Success was developed
In January 2014 the Prime Minister announced that the Government was investing an extra $359m in funding over the next 4 years, and $155 million a year after that, to help raise student achievement.
A working group of education sector leaders gave advice on how to progress this initiative - Investing in Educational Success (IES). The Government welcomed this advice and instructed the Ministry of Education to work with the education sector to finalise the design.
You can read the working group’s report and other key documents that show how the policy was developed.
Information on the development of Investing in Educational Success
Here you will find the documents that provide the background to Investing in Educational Success and show how the policy was developed.
The documents in this section illustrate the evolution of the IES policy. Through the process, a range of options were considered, and the scope and scale of the initiative changed over time. This is to be expected as part of any good policy development process.
Working Group’s Report
This sets out the thinking and recommendations of the sector representation that helped the Government develop IES. The Working Group comprised of unions, principals’ associations, school governance associations, Māori and Pasifika education representatives, and early childhood sector representatives.
These include cabinet papers and other key documents that record decisions made and set out the proposals for IES.
Proposals for policy developments that fed into IES
- New Zealand’s Achievement Story – The Evidence Base [PDF, 369 KB]
- Recognising and Supporting Teachers and Leaders [PDF, 3.6 MB]
Proposals on IES roles
Proposals on working with the education sector to develop IES
- Memo to the Prime Minister; Minister of Finance; Minister for Tertiary Education, Skills and Employment - Investment for Success: The Achievement Challenge – working group, process, parameters [PDF, 1.3 MB]
Cabinet papers covering the detail of IES
These provide further background information on the development of IES.
Information on teaching and leadership career pathways
- Aide Memoire: Stakeholder Engagement [PDF, 362 KB]
- Our Proposition: Aotearoa New Zealand – the world’s number one education system [PDF, 796 KB]
- Teacher and Leadership Career Pathways – English and Maori Medium Schools [PDF, 383 KB]
Information on supporting and developing teaching and leadership
- Recognising and Supporting School Teachers and Leaders [PDF, 1.1 MB]
- Aide Memoire - Recognising and Supporting School Teachers and Leaders [PDF, 276 KB]
- Investment for Success: Four Initiatives, Career Pathways, Three Implementation Scenarios [PDF, 1.3 MB]
Possible options for career pathways and new roles as part of IES
- Investment for Success – Options for Career Pathways [PDF, 296 KB]
- Aide Memoire: Investment for Success [PDF, 478 KB]
- Memo to Geoff Short – Investing for Success [PDF, 218 KB]
Note of decisions made on IES policy
Information on the details of IES
- Investing for Success [PDF, 582 KB]
- Aide Memoire: Investing in Educational Success (IES) Working Group – Final report [PDF, 271 KB]
- Education Report: Investing in Educational Success: Final report of the Working Group and next steps [PDF, 334 KB]
- Aide Memoire: Investing in Educational Success Initiative Programme Scope [PDF, 859 KB]
- Aide Memoire: Investing in Educational Success: design and implementation [PDF, 813 KB]
- Aide Memoire: Design and Implementation Cabinet paper [PDF, 626 KB]
Update on the IES progress
- Aide Memoire: Meeting with the Minister for Tertiary Education, Skills and Employment to discuss progress on Investing in Educational Success [PDF, 745 KB] [PDF, 212 KB]
- Aide Memoire: Meeting with Joint Ministers to discuss progress on Investing in Educational Success [PDF, 212 KB]
- Talking points: Meeting with Joint Ministers to discuss progress on Investing in Educational Success Initiative [PDF, 240 KB]
- Aide Memoire: Community of Schools Implementation [PDF, 416 KB]
- Education Report: Investing in Educational Success: Update report on design and implementation [PDF, 3.5 MB]
- Education Report: Investing in Educational Success: Update to Joint Ministers [PDF, 2.4 MB]
- Investing in Educational Success: Design and Implementation [PDF, 5.7 MB]
- Education Report: Communities of Schools: Progress Update and Requests for Approval [PDF, 5.1 MB]
Last reviewed: Has this been useful? Give us your feedback