Practice framework resources for health and safety
This represents the school or ECE service provider’s approach to delivering health and safety in the workplace. It sets out and describes the standard against which a school or ECE service provider measures and accounts for its health and safety performance. This system is integrated with good practice and quality.
While these resources are generally for use by schools, early childhood education (ECE) services and kōhanga reo may find their content useful. These have been marked with an asterisk*. These resources have been developed through the Sector Reference Group and NZSTA.
Our factsheets have been written for schools, ECEs and kōhanga reo to use
H&S practice resources [PDF, 161 KB]: Legislation and Regulations, policies and processes, and guidance and resources
- Code of Practice for exempt school laboratories - guidance [PDF, 1.7 MB]
- Fire and safety design requirements for schools for boards, project managers and design consultants
- Guidelines for the surrender and retention of property and searches
- Hostel Regulations
- Security management
- Water safety resources and safety tips (external link) *
- Swimming pools at schools
- Health conditions in education settings*
- WorkSafe notifiable event problem solver (external link)
- Guidance on the Code of Practice for Exempt School Laboratories [PDF, 2.4 MB]
Safety in technology education guidance manual updated for schools and kura
Safety in Technology Education: A Guidance Manual for New Zealand Schools has been updated by the New Zealand Association of Science Educators. The manual gives teachers, principals, and Boards of Trustees guidelines and information to put in place sound health and safety policies and procedures for technology teaching and learning. We suggest these procedures should form an integral part of the planning for and delivery of technology education.
This updated guidance manual [PDF, 1.9 MB] now interprets and applies the Health and Safety at Work Act 2015 and associated Amendments, as well as other relevant Acts and Regulations within the context of technology teaching in New Zealand schools. This manual also provides guidance for those students and teachers learning Hangarau through Te Marautanga o Aotearoa
Tools and resources
- Keeping students safe on school buses
- Smokefree policy template for schools (external link)
- Digital technology guide for schools
Last reviewed: Has this been useful? Give us your feedback