Leadership Statement for International Education
Doubling the economic value of international education to New Zealand is at the heart of the Government’s strategy for the sector. The Leadership Statement for International Education sets bold aspirations for the growth.
The statement includes targets to:
- develop and sustain mutually beneficial education relationships with key partner countries as a leading part of New Zealand Inc strategies in Asia, the Pacific, the Middle East, Europe and the Americas
- increase annual revenues from providing education services offshore to at least $0.5 billion
- increase the number of international students enrolled in New Zealand providers offshore, from 3,000 to 10,000
- double the number of international postgraduate students (particularly in programmes in addition to those at PhD level) from 10,000 to 20,000
- increase the transition rate from study to residence for international university students
- increase New Zealanders’ skills and knowledge to operate effectively across cultures.
International Education Strategy
A draft International Education Strategy was prepared in mid 2017. It set out the vision, goals and immediate priorities for international education. Public consultation on the Strategy occurred in July and August 2017.
The Government is reviewing the outcomes of consultation and is working on next steps.
Draft International Education Strategy for New Zealand to 2025 (external link) Education New Zealand, 30 June 2017.
Last reviewed: Has this been useful? Give us your feedback