Partnership Schools Policy Development
The Confidence and Supply Agreement signed by the National and ACT Parties in December 2011 agreed to pilot a model of charter schools during the 50th parliamentary term (ended in August 2014).
During the policy development phase, the Ministry of Education prepared advice for Ministers and Cabinet about how a New Zealand model of charter schools – now known as Partnership Schools | Kura Hourua – could be implemented.
The Confidence and Supply Agreement signed by the National and ACT Parties in September 2014 agreed to further develop the model and expand the trial of Partnership Schools, for the purpose of improving educational outcomes for priority students. This includes maintaining the momentum and continuity of the initiative by strengthening and enhancing the application and governance processes in order to foster high quality applications and high-performing schools.
Documents are available in PDF format only. If you have any issues accessing the documents please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ongoing policy development
Policy development has continued since the original implementation of the Partnership School model.
- Briefing for meeting on Partnership Schools on 16 February 2015 [PDF, 98 KB]
- Education Report - Extending Eligibility for Gateway Funding to PSKH [PDF, 222 KB]
- Ed Report Further Advice on Tertiary Education Institutions as Sponsors of PSKH [PDF, 5.5 MB]
- Cabinet Paper - Further application rounds for partnership schools [PDF, 1 MB]
Establishment of a Support Entity for Partnership Schools
- Education Report - Partnership Schools | Kura Hourua Sponsor Support [PDF, 2.8 MB]
- Education Report - Advice on establishing a Support Entity for Partnership Schools [PDF, 607 KB]
- Briefing - Options and process for identifying a suitable Support Entity [PDF, 201 KB]
- Education Report - Proposal from E Tipu E Rea [PDF, 2.4 MB] [PDF, 2.1 MB]
- Funding agreement with E Tipu E Rea [PDF, 307 KB]
Martin Jenkins Evaluation 2014 - 2017
- February 2017 - Release of Second Annual Interim Evaluation Report - PSKH (Ed Report) [PDF, 9.7 MB]
- Education Report – Release of the Martin Jenkins Innovation Evaluation Report on Partnership Schools [PDF, 769 KB]
- Follow-up on the Authorisation Board’s concerns re PSKH Evaluation [PDF, 272 KB]
- Authorisation Board correspondence about the evaluation [PDF, 154 KB]
- Evaluation plan: Partnership School | Kura Hourua policy [PDF, 3.3 MB]
Funding model and contract review 2015
- Cabinet Minute - Partnership Schools | Kura Hourua – monitoring and evaluation, proposed new funding model, operational review, and further application round [PDF, 182 KB]
- Cabinet Paper - Partnership Schools | Kura Hourua – monitoring and evaluation, proposed new funding model, operational review, and further application round [PDF, 1 MB]
- Education Report - Proposed Changes to Partnership Schools Funding Model [PDF, 402 KB]
- Education Report: Partnership Schools Draft Agreement [PDF, 203 KB]
- Briefing: Summary of advice on changes to the PSKH funding model, application process, and timeline [PDF, 393 KB]
- Briefing: PSKH Contract Review – Options for known issues [PDF, 267 KB]
- Briefing: PSKH funding model review: further advice on the teaching and operating rate [PDF, 636 KB]
- Briefing: PSKH - Cash for Buildings and Lease Cost Sensitivity [PDF, 197 KB]
- Briefing: Further advice on Partnership schools property funding [PDF, 806 KB]
- Education report: PSKH Work programme update – funding model, contract review and round three applications [PDF, 473 KB]
- Working paper: Scope of PSKH funding model review [PDF, 299 KB]
- Briefing: Process and timeline for immediate Partnership Schools work programme [PDF, 795 KB]
- Current PSKH resourcing model [PDF, 563 KB]
Last reviewed: Has this been useful? Give us your feedback