Strengthening early learning opportunities (SELO)
SELO (strengthening early learning opportunities for children, whānau, families and communities) is a professional development programme for early learning.
It is targeted at early childhood education providers and kōhanga reo that have low participation rates or need support in providing quality early learning.
There are three different programmes available. Each programme will be shaped to the service's needs.
This programme provides in-depth professional development.
It is available to licensed early childhood education (ECE) services and kōhanga reo in locations identified by the Ministry of Education. A facilitator will work directly with management and teachers/educators to ensure a shift in practice towards delivering high quality early childhood education.
This programme focuses on community specific professional development in locations identified by the Ministry of Education.
Different aspects of the community are taken into account. This is to ensure that the service is responsive to its identity, language and culture.
Professional development designed for certificated playgroups and children/whānau with special education needs are included in this programme.
This programme covers 7 threads. These threads focus on different areas within the early childhood education environment:
- Strengthening early learning opportunities for infants and toddlers
- Strengthening early learning opportunities in Te Aho Tukutuku/early mathematics
- Strengthening early learning opportunities in early literacy
- Strengthening Māori leadership in early childhood services
- Strengthening Pasifika leadership in early childhood services
- Strengthening leaders in early childhood services
- Whakapiki i te Reo Māori
To find out if your service qualifies for SELO programme 1, 2 or 3, please contact the following:
- For kōhanga reo, please contact your district manager directly.
Te Kōhanga Reo National Trust contacts (external link)
- For Playcentres, please contact the Playcentre Federation directly.
Playcentre Federation (external link)
- For all ECE services, please contact your regional Ministry SELO lead from the list below:
07 858 7172
|Bay of Plenty/Rotorua/Taupo||
07 343 1385
06 831 0660
06 350 9884
04 463 7538
03 539 1546
03 378 7522
03 471 5218
The Government wants to ensure all children and families can access quality ECE services everywhere in New Zealand.
The priority is to improve participation in quality ECE among:
- Māori children
- Pasifika children
- children from low socio-economic families.
In line with this priority, the ECE professional development investment has been targeted towards services with the greatest chance of meeting this goal. A major focus of SELO is teachers working with children who have the greatest potential benefit to gain from ECE.
The Government has confidence in the professionalism of teachers, educators and management of ECE services. The SELO programme supports teachers and managers in the ECE environment and helps to further improve teaching practice.
Last reviewed: Has this been useful? Give us your feedback